Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Journey Ended and Begun

I totaled it up! Adding all the years I spent as a student, teacher and then administrator I had 48 years in education. Forty eight years! That is unbelievable to me. I was a passionate educator! I loved figuring out how to teach in a manner that children would learn. I loved mentoring teachers! I loved the energy produced by a school full of kids. BUT there are many more things I love and education requires long hours. It is time to pursue other interests. So I retire. Retirement is the beginning of a new stage in my life.
 
Who am I besides a teacher and principal? I am a wife of 32 years to the deacon! I am the mother of two beautiful adults. I am the mother-in-law to two fabulous people. I am grandmother to one precious grandson. We are expecting another grandson in May and then another grandchild in August. (I personally am thinking PINK). I am a Christian, an Episcopalian, Daughter of the King, clergy spouse, Christian Formation teacher of children, and a liturgical minister. I am a daughter and daughter-in-law.
 
I have numerous passions I want to devote my time and energy to now. I have so many fond memories of visits with my grandparents. Grandparents have so much time for you. Doing things with my grandparents was always such an adventure. I want my grandson, Elliott, and the two that are soon to be to have many, many memories of their adventures with Gran. I want to explore more areas of my spirituality. I want to devote more time to praising my God and walking on His path. I want to publish my children’s books and stories. I want to decrease my impact on God’s creation. I want to salvage my yard from the weeds. I love digging in the dirt and watching the wonders of growth. I want to get back to sewing and knitting. I want to learn to crochet. I might even try to learn to cook.
 
Twenty years ago we bought my mother a corn plant (dracaena fragrans). The plant was about two and a half feet tall. Over the years the plant grew and grew and grew. After about fifteen years it outgrew mother’s house so we moved it to our house. We gave it a nice place by the French doors and it was very happy. Having more space, it grew and grew and grew. It is now pressed firmly against the ceiling. Since it is so large, I have a rolling plate underneath it. I must now remove that plate so it will have a few more inches of space. It is also root bound again. It is time to repot. This is not a job I will attempt alone. In fact, I believe it will require two more people. A bigger pot and fresh soil will allow more growth.
 
Now I too have more space. My space is my time. I want to grow and flourish like my corn plant. May my ‘repotting’ into retirement allow me to expand, branch out, grow stronger and deeper roots, and leaf out all over.

Peace,
Beth




3 comments:

Cathy said...

You are also a great friend to add to that list.

You haven't stopped being an educator and you will always be a lifelong learner - and no one can take that away from you!

A bit jealous of the amount of time you have spent with your grandchild. I never had that luxury as a child for various reasons.

Look forward to journeying with you with getting to know our Lord.

Beth Mithen said...

Being a learner is what makes life exciting! It is also exciting watching others learn. It is a journey.

Kit said...

Whew...I think I will just keep working :) You amaze me friend.