Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Discernment of Vines

I hope you missed my postings for a few days. I took a little time off to enjoy a visit from my daughter, Ginny, and grandson, Elliott. Ginny was on Spring Break from the college she works at and her husband was traveling on business so we had the pleasure of their company for five whole days. Ginny is pregnant with our second grandson and we enjoyed giving her a much needed rest. Elliott is nonstop play, reading and cuddling. A grandmother’s pure delight!
 
Now to those vines…twelve years ago I planted a confederate jasmine vine on my trellis by the pool. Over the years it has grown tremendously. Each summer we enjoy the marvelous aroma of its blooms and the hummingbirds and butterflies enjoy its nectar. It has been the safe haven of many a bird’s nest and even a few wasps’ nests. Ten years ago, on the section of trellis right next to the jasmine I planted a red honeysuckle and on the last section I planted a yellow honeysuckle. Although they do not grow as ferociously as the jasmine and do not have much of an aroma, the hummingbirds love them best of all.
 
Procrastination has created a humongous tangle on our trellis. Each year we say we must prune the jasmine. Each year we procrastinated until the birds were already nesting and we did not want to disturb them. The jasmine grew and grew and grew and spread and spread and spread. Eventually the red honeysuckle was completely engulfed!
 
This past weekend my husband and I stood firm, grabbed the clippers and headed out to prune this overgrown beast. The first section with the base of the jasmine required bold cutting and hearty pulling but we cleared it fairly readily. The second section, however, was another story. The jasmine and honeysuckle were totally interwoven. The electric and large clippers had to be retired and I had to go in by hand with my little hand clippers. All the vines look the same to Scott so he was not allowed in this section. I painstakingly began clipping little vine by little vine, untwisting and tracing vines to their sources.
 
I truly did not expect to find the honeysuckle but I did. Somehow, under the massive arms of the jasmine, it had been steadily growing. Tendrils wormed their ways through the jasmine to the sun. When finished, I had found a much larger vine that I had anticipated. I meditate as I garden. As I worked on these vines, I wondered what parts of my life were like the honeysuckle. Do I have parts of my life that are being overshadowed and squeezed out by something else? What jasmine in my life may smell good but may be overpowered by other important honeysuckle? Do you have some jasmine and honeysuckle in your life?
 
What about the yellow honeysuckle, you ask. Tune in tomorrow and see.


Peace,

Beth



4 comments:

Naomi said...

I still have red trumpet vines looking for a new home. Will even provide shovel to dig.

Beth Mithen said...

I will come get some!

Scott said...

more work! ohhh boyyyy

Beth Mithen said...

For those who do not know, that last comment about 'more work' is from my dear husband!