Monday, March 1, 2010

Max, My Special Inspiration

My journey reminds me of Max-may he rest in peace. I want to grow up to be just like Max. Max was rescued from a puppy mill. He was about 15 years old and had heartworm positive, had poorly healed broken ribs, ears were stapled together and he had only one eye and that eye had a cataract. We were visiting friends, Cathy & Jim, who were foster parents for Max. Max fell in love with Scott. Throughout the evening he followed Scott around and stayed by his side or in his lap. At the end of the evening, Cathy suggested we adopt Max. I was concerned that Buddy would not be happy to have an interloper move in. We did not have TyNee yet; that is another rescue story. Not to be foiled, Cathy suggested a spend-the-night party to see how they got along. Needless to say, Max never left our house!
 
Buddy was actually very excited to have Max in his house. Max, however, brought a great deal of baggage from his difficult earlier life. Max could be rather grumpy and if Buddy got too close he could be a bit aggressive. Buddy learned not to run up on Max and, most importantly, to not approach Max from his blind side. When Max growled, Buddy quickly dropped to the floor and wagged his tail. I want to be like Buddy too. He could befriend the most difficult of souls.
 
Soon Buddy and Max were best friends! When darkness fell, Max would follow Buddy on their walks. Apparently Max could see Buddy’s fluffy white tail. Due to the heartworms Max could not run, Buddy would walk with Max each day as they sauntered around the fence line. Max went through an innovative heartworm treatment that is easier on old dogs. Within a year he was heartworm negative and was running once again. As he became comfortable with us, he lost his aggressiveness and was a lovable sweet dog.
 
I want to be like Max. Nothing held him down. He overcame terrible adversity. He became a healthy, happy friend to us all. I want to persevere like Max. I want to ascend above all the little adversities of my life. I want to enjoy life as much as he did. I want to lean on friends when I can use support. He only spent about six years with us but we will never forget him.
Peace,
Beth

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I know Max is wagging his tail and smiling. What a wonderful tribute to him.

Beth Mithen said...

Thank YOU for leading him into our loves.

Beth Mithen said...

Thank YOU for leading him into our loves.