Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not One but Two Collisions

It is a fact that I have been inside too long over this lengthy cold winter. Yesterday was beautiful! It was so sunny and warm that I had thrown open the doors and was enjoying the nice breeze flowing through my house. Unfortunately it has been such a long winter that the birds that are flocking into my yard were not accustomed to seeing me out and about. As I slide open the screen to the French doors and stepped outside, a cardinal flew right into my shoulder. I am not sure who was more startled! He quickly flew up into a pine tree and sat on a limb fluffing his feathers. I dropped my glass of tea and seat cushion as I jumped off the steps! Luckily I did not break my leg and my ‘glass’ was actually plastic!
 
After refilling my ‘glass’, I arranged my cushion on the patio chair and sat to enjoy the sunshine. Suddenly something bounced off my back! Since both dogs are tiny, I knew it was neither of them. On the ground behind my chair was a little chickadee! He appeared to be stunned! Buddy, my constant companion, and I sat there watching him for a while. Of course, I did not have my camera with me. Buddy kept wagging his tail as if to say, “Let’s play, friend!” After a few minutes, the chickadee flew up to the top of the trellis with no apparent ill effects.
 
Hopefully Spring is here to stay and the birds will once again get comfortable with my presence in the habitat we share. The great advantage of using a laptop is that it can go outside with me to enjoy the marvelous weather! I am like many of my plants; I thrive in the sunshine! Many creatures share our backyard habitat: numerous species of bird, lizards, skinks, butterflies, bees, snakes, rabbits, turtles, armadillos, field mice (the most difficult of God’s creatures for me to love), bats, and many more. Stay with me throughout the year. I guarantee that Buddy and I have many close encounters and joyful experiences with our fine friends!

Peace,
Beth

No comments: